My family and I are fine - we live in Wellington which is on the other island - but our beautiful city of Christchurch is not. It's a complete tragedy and competely heartbreaking.
I've had people ask how to help. Well here in NZ we have several ways:
- Phone 0900 33 200 to make an automatic $20 donation
- FreeTXT ‘QUAKE’ to 555 to donate $5 or FreeTXT ‘QUAKE’ to 333 to donate $3 from any Vodafone mobile
- Donate online at redcross.org.nz
- Donate to the The Salvation Army appeal could call 0800 53 00 00 or do it online at www.salvationarmy.org.nz
- Donate in person at any branch of NZ Post, Kiwibank, ANZ, National Bank, ASB, TSB and BNZ across New Zealand.
- Mail a cheque (made payable to New Zealand Red Cross) to: Canterbury Earthquake Appeal, Freepost 232690, PO Box 12-140, Thorndon, Wellington 6144.
- ASB (one of our NZ banks) has opened an account to receive donations for the New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake appeal. If you would like to donate, you can do so at any ASB branch or via online banking:
ASB Christchurch Earthquake Support Fund: 12-3205-0146808-00
To make donations from an overseas account, please use the same account number listed above with the SWIFT Code ASBBNZ2A. ASB will waive all incoming IMT fees in NZ from overseas payments made to the Christchurch Earthquake Support donation account.
- Tash from the lovely knitsch is donating 20% of all proceeds from on-line and in-store purchases of her hand-dyed sock yarn (and I can personally recommend it - in fact this post was supposed to be all about the opening of her store, but I'm sure she won't be upset that I'm going to wait a couple of days to report on that!)
- a new group has been formed on Ravely to help out: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/kys-new-zealand-disaster-relief
- a charity auction is here: http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/fresh-from-the-cauldron/1541890/1-25 for yarn that is very hard to get hold of!
- If you want a little piece of NZ to knit - grannyg is donating 100% of all purchases of her tiki mittens pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tiki-mittens
Words do not adequately express our deep sadness for all those in Christchurch who have had to endure this.